There are two things:
1. What is the location of log files in MOSS 2007?
2. What is the size of MOSS Log? Generally It is in GB. So, How can we control it?
these are very basic but very useful.
Default Location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\
In default settings, it takes some GBs per day.
Customizing log settings:
1. Goto Central Administration -> Operations -> Logging and Reporting -> Diagnostic logging
2. In Event Throttling:
Trace log: verbose
3. In Trace Log:
You can change default location of logs. It is recommended to store log files in another drive.
Set number of log files: 12
Number of minutes to use a log file: 1440 (for 24 Hrs)
You can set according to your choice.
4. If you do not want to use the usage analysis features, you can turn off the usage analysis log to conserve hard-disk space
Goto Central Administration -> Operations -> Logging and Reporting -> Usage analysis processing
Clear “Enable logging” option.
5. MOSS 2007 server installation has some log files held in C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp and these are being written at regular intervals increasing its size. Worse still, because it’s in the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder it gets duplicated when a new user logs onto the server console. You can safely delete these files.